Fresh peaches scream summer’s grand finale and are delicious slightly sweetened and topped with a crunchy crisp layer, Peach Crisp is simple to make and super tasty!
My sister-in-law text me last Sunday asking if we were at the beach or in town at the moment. I replied with the following picture…
She obviously knows where we’d be on a hot August Sunday. Anyway, she had half a box of peaches that were ripe and ready to be used and she wondered if I wanted them. Duh…of course I did. We ate several and I made a batch of peach freezer jam. And then I made the best peach crisp I’ve ever had…
I absolutely prefer a crisp to a cobbler, I love the sweet, oat-y crunch compared to a biscuit type texture. The fruit in this recipe is lightly sweetened, kind of like the cherries in this slab pie, and that really brings out the loveliness of the peaches rather than drown them in sugary sweetness.
To make peach crisp:
Place peeled, pitted and sliced peaches in a large bowl. Add sugar and allow to stand for 30 minutes. This helps release excess moisture from the peaches, so the end result isn’t too soupy. Drain peaches, reserving the accumulated juices, and put into a 2 qt. baking dish. Mix 1/4 cup of the peach juice and stir together with lemon juice, cornstarch and spices. Add to peaches and stir gently. Make the topping by combining the butter, brown sugar, flour, oats and spices. Layer over peaches in baking dish. Bake until golden and bubbly.
- 3½ lbs FIRM RIPE PEACHES, (6-8), peeled, pitted, and sliced into ¾″ wedges
- ⅓ cup GRANULATED SUGAR
- 1¼ teaspoons CORNSTARCH
- 1 tablespoon FRESH LEMON JUICE
- Pinch of SALT
- Pinch of CINNAMON
- Pinch of GROUND NUTMEG
- 1½ cups OLD FASHIONED OATMEAL
- ½ cup BROWN SUGAR
- ¼ cup FLOUR
- 6 tablespoons COLD BUTTER, grated or cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon CINNAMON
- ¼ teaspoon GROUND NUTMEG
- Place peaches in a large bowl. Add sugar and stir gently. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Drain the peaches, reserving accumulated juices. Measure ¼ cup from accumulated juices and whisk together with cornstarch, lemon juice, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add to peaches and stir.
- Place peach mixture in a 2 quart baking dish.
- Make the crumb topping: combine topping ingredients in a medium bowl. Use a fork or your fingers to mix together until you have pea sized crumbs. Put in an even layer over peaches and press down slightly.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Best served warm with vanilla ice cream.
Recipe Source: Our Best Bites
Crazy for peaches…