You can make Lemon Berry Shortbread Trifles in just minutes ahead of time or right before serving!
Ready, set, berry pick! I’m so ready for it. But then there’s the question of what to do with the abundance of berries? I love to use them in simple desserts like strawberry short cake and easy, individual size trifles. This trifle with all of its tart, lemony goodness pairs with any berry you might have – strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or blackberries. Use your favorite or a combo if you like.
You can make the easy tart lemon cream ahead of time by beating together cream cheese, lemon juice and powdered sugar. Fold in freshly whipped cream and the lemon cream is ready. A lot of trifles use cake, but I love the cookie crunch from the shortbread. Assemble right then or wait until just before serving. You decide…you can also decide how much you’re planning on sharing 😉
- 4 oz. CREAM CHEESE, softened
- 2 Tablespoons FRESHLY SQUEEZED LEMON JUICE (from 1 medium lemon)
- 6 Tablespoons POWDERED SUGAR
- 1 cup HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM
- 8 SHORTBREAD COOKIES, coarsely chopped
- 1½ cups FRESH STRAWBERRIES, coarsely chopped
- In a mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, lemon juice and powdered sugar until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Add to lemon cream mixture and gently fold together.
- Use individual jars or a medium glass bowl to assemble trifles. Start with cream mixture, then strawberries and chopped cookies. Repeat layers and end with cream mixture. Garnish with additional strawberries.
If you prefer your cookies to have more crunch, enjoy immediately after making.
Fresh berries are everywhere! Use them in these delicious treats too…