This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CerealAnytime #CollectiveBias
This delicious French toast dish makes a terrific brunch or breakfast for dinner 😉 It’s time to think outside the cereal box and make Cereal Crusted French Toast the next chance you get!
Around our house, we have a deep love for all things breakfast. Which leads us to enjoy various forms of it…cereal, toast with cinnamon sugar or jelly, muffins, oatmeal, French toast, any form of eggs…multiple times a week. Yep, having fresh eggs from my very own back yard chickens might have something to do with it 😉 Our favorite thing to make when we have an overflowing egg supply is French toast…mostly for dinner because in the morning I don’t want to make a big mess in the kitchen.
Today’s recipe is a more elevated version of French toast. We’re using Honey Bunches of Oats Honey Roasted Cereal to make the crust, you could also use Honey Bunches of Oats Almond variety if you like things nutty, and the cereal crust adds a delightful, sweet crunch to the ordinary griddle style French toast. This dish is absolutely best served for dinner or brunch with pure maple syrup and sliced strawberry season (yay for strawberry season!!).
How to make Cereal Crusted French Toast:
Start by heating a griddle (if you have one) to about 350º. In a shallow dish, such as a pie plate, measure in 3 cups Honey Bunches of Oats Honey Roasted Cereal. Use the back of the measuring cup to crush the cereal into medium crumbs. In a different shallow dish, beat together eggs, half & half and vanilla extract. Dip bread slices into egg mixture and then into crushed cereal. Place on preheated griddle and cook until golden brown. Flip and cook remaining side. If you have a griddle, you can cook all 6 slices at once. Take care to keep the heat at medium because we’re cooking this French toast slowly as to not burn the cereal crust. Serve immediately with butter, maple syrup and sliced strawberries. The recipe below will make 3 servings, multiply as needed.
- 3 cups HONEY BUNCHES OF OATS HONEY ROASTED CEREAL
- 3 EGGS
- ½ cup HALF & HALF
- ½ teaspoon VANILLA EXTRACT
- 6 slices THICK BREAD, such as Texas Toast
- BUTTER, MAPLE SYRUP & SLICED STRAWBERRIES for serving
- Place cereal in a pie plate or other shallow dish, lightly crush cereal with the bottom of a measuring cup until you have medium crumbs.
- In a different shallow dish, beat together eggs, half & half and vanilla extract.
- Heat a griddle* to 350 degrees or a skillet over medium heat.
- Dip one slice of bread into egg mixture and then into cereal, making sure both sides are evenly covered with crumbs. Place on preheated griddle and repeat with remaining bread.
- Cook until golden on the first side, flip and cook on 2nd side.
- Serve immediately with butter, syrup and sliced strawberries.
*Multiply recipe as needed.
Grab your favorite variety of Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal on your next shopping trip to Walmart! Have you tried the new Honey Bunches of Oats Gluten Free Chocolate? Its a delicious way to start the day if you prefer to start with chocolate or have gluten free needs. You may also enjoy Honey Bunches of Oats Crunch O’s or Kung Fu Panda Po Power Crunch – both of these new cereals can also be found at Walmart stores. What are some ways you like to enjoy cereal besides cold with milk? I love the crunch of adding it to a fruit and yogurt parfait or making a quick afternoon snack.