An easy lunch or a light dinner, a hot steamy bowl of soup and Ham, Gouda & Apple Grilled Cheese make the perfect pair!
Anything with gooey, melty cheese is my idea of comfort food. It’s common to find soup on our weekly menu plan and, more often than not, it is accompanied by something that starts with bread and ends in melty grilled cheese goodness. The kids prefer things very basic, just cheese. But my husband and I like to take a more grown up approach to the grilled cheese sandwich. On this particular day, we were in the mood for Rich and Hearty Loaded Potato soup and decided to pair it with a Ham, Gouda & Apple Grilled Cheese.
The verdict – total home run. This is the pair I want to enjoy on a chilly fall afternoon or cold winter’s evening. The sweetness of the apple and the flavor of the dijon mustard went nicely when the ham and gouda. I think the think to remember when ‘growing up’ your grilled cheese is to use quality ingredients. That makes for a much better sandwich.
Then comes the question of what to dip your sandwich in? Well, Progresso Soup, of course. Progresso’s line of Ready to Eat soups are made with fresh ingredients and include varieties like Rich & Hearty Loaded Potato, Traditional Italian Style Wedding and Light Chicken & Dumpling. With such a selection of flavors, you can choose one to fit your mood any day of the week for just yourself or your entire family. Next you’re grocery shopping at your local Walmart, stock up on your favorites to enjoy no matter what your mood.
- 1 Tablespoon DIJON MUSTARD
- 4 slices GOOD QUALITY SOURDOUGH BREAD
- 4 slices GOUDA CHEESE
- 6 slices MAPLE HONEY HAM
- ½ GOLDEN DELICIOUS APPLE, sliced super thin
- BUTTER, room temperature
- Heat a skillet over med high heat.
- Spread butter on the outside of 2 slices of bread, lay one slice, butter side down, in the pan. Layer on a slice of cheese, 3 slices of ham, apples in a thin slices and end with another slice of cheese.
- On the second slice of bread, spread a 1½ teaspoons of mustard. Place mustard side down on top of sandwich in pan. Grill until golden on both sides. Remove from pan,
- Slice in half and serve with your favorite Progresso soup.
More delicious partners for a bowl of soup…
What Progresso soup fits your current mood?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of General Mills. The opinions and text are all mine.