Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Pie is sure to become a family favorite!
The unusual marriage of strawberries and rhubarb is a classic one that is well loved. After picking strawberries, I wanted to make a strawberry rhubarb pie, but in the past I’ve had that type of pie turn out really runny. So I googled ‘best strawberry rhubarb pie’. One of the recipes that turned up was from Taste of Home. The filling included an egg, which was something I’ve never seen before, so I gave it a try. This pie turned out beautifully, the filling stayed in place after cutting, the flavor was super amazing and the crumb topping was just right. We loved it a la mode 😉
I know that strawberry season may be over where you live, but keep this one filed away for next year. It’s a definite winner!
- 1 EGG
- 1 cup SUGAR
- 2 Tablespoons FLOUR
- 1 Tablespoon VANILLA EXTRACT
- 3 cups SLICED RHUBARB
- 2 cups HALVED STRAWBERRIES
- 1 9 in. PIE CRUST
- ¾ cup FLOUR
- ½ cup packed BROWN SUGAR
- ½ cup OATMEAL
- ½ cup BUTTER, cold
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together egg, sugar, flour and vanilla extract.
- Add rhubarb and strawberries. Gently stir until well combined. Pour into pie crust.
- In a small bowl, stir together ¾ cup flour, brown sugar and oatmeal. Cut butter into cubes and add to flour mixture.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs. Distribute evenly on top of pie and press down slightly.
- Bake for 10 minutes and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake for an additional 35-40 minutes until filling is bubbly. Cool completely before cutting.
Recipe Source: Taste of Home
For the Pie Lover…