Those brown bananas sitting on your counter are begging to be made into The Best Buttermilk Banana Bread.
Pour yourself a steamy cup of coffee, pull up a chair and enjoy a sweet snack. That’s the best environment in which to partake of this tasty loaf of banana bread. Let’s talk bananas. For me there is only a small window of slightly green – slightly yellow peel, that’s the window in which I will eat a banana as is…any other condition and I just can’t do it. Needless to say, we usually have a few speckled bananas sitting on our counter. Which happens to be a good thing if my mother-in-law is coming to town, she always requests (and usually gets) this banana bread when she visits. It’s wonderful alongside a cup of coffee or as a quick snack and turns out perfectly every single time.
TIP – If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you could use plain yogurt or even sour cream in it’s place. Also, quick breads like this freeze beautifully, wrap in plastic wrap and then put in a gallon size freezer bag.
- ½ cup BUTTER, softened
- 1 cup SUGAR
- 2 EGGS
- 1 cup MASHED BANANAS (2-3 medium sized bananas)
- 4 Tablespoons BUTTERMILK
- 1 teaspoon VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1¾ cups FLOUR
- 1 teaspoon BAKING POWDER
- ¼ teaspoon SALT
- ⅛ teaspoon BAKING SODA
- Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Using a mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Pour into loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Then using a knife, run it around the edge of the pan and carefully remove from the pan. Let cool completely.
Recipe Source: Two Peas and Their Pod