Perfect for any gathering, holiday or not, Sweet and Salty Snack Mix is a delicious way to get your sweet ‘n salty fix!
Loaded with all of the good stuff – crunchy cereal and salty pretzels covered in caramel-y goodness combined with M&Ms, peanuts and candy corn, if you like. This is my favorite sweet snack mix, ever. Any crowd that I’ve ever served it to has gone crazy for it. It’s a good thing that it makes a large batch because there needs to be enough to go around. One year my best friend made a batch or two of this mix, put it into holiday cellophane bags and her husband gave it to his co-workers. There you go, a simple co-worker gift idea.
I’ve adored this recipe ever since my mother-in-law shared it with me years ago. You don’t have to include the candy corn or the pumpkins, but peanuts and candy corn are a dangerously delicious match 😉
- 1 (12.8 oz.) box RICE CHEX CEREAL
- 8 oz. PRETZELS
- 1 (16 oz.) jar DRY ROASTED PEANUTS
- 1 medium size bag HOLIDAY M&Ms
- 2 sticks BUTTER
- 1⅓ cups BROWN SUGAR
- ⅓ cup LIGHT CORN SYRUP or HONEY
- ½ teaspoon BAKING SODA
- *Optional - CANDY CORN/MELLOCREME PUMPKINS or other holiday candy, depending on the season
- Mix cereal and pretzels in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup (or honey). Bring to a boil. Boil for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in baking soda.
- Pour syrup mixture over cereal and pretzels. Stir well.
- Dump into large paper grocery bag. Fold top of bag over a couple of times. Put into microwave, heat for 1 minute.
- Shake bag, heat another minute. Add peanuts. Shake bag, heat another minute.
- Spread on waxed paper. Cool and add M&Ms and candy corn.
more super delicious snack mixes…