This Family Size Batch of Basic Granola makes enough to feed a crowd and is a super breakfast or snack!
I have spent all of last weekend down and out on the couch with lower back pain…absolutely no work or play for me. Thankfully, yesterday I made it into the chiropractor and I’m on the mend. Hopefully I’ll be like new by the end of the week, at least my house is sure hoping so. My people helped hold things together while I could barely move, but there’s just no way like mama’s way to do things
Today I bring you…the most basic granola ever. My kids have been scarfing this stuff right and left. They would eat it all day long if I let them. They love it with milk or yogurt or dry as a snack. You see the need for a family size batch, otherwise it would be gone before I blinked! You can easily add dried fruit or nuts if you like, but we like to stick to the basics in regards to granola.
It’s so simple to make and have on hand for the before-school-rush-to-get-out-the-door. You could also package it up in small portions to go in a lunchbox and it makes a great fruit and yogurt parfait too. It’s super versatile, which is one of the reasons we’ve been making it since way back when. I’ve tweaked it a bit and it’s completely irresistible…seriously, just try letting it cool on the counter without walking by 17 times to taste just a little bit.
- 8 cups REGULAR OATMEAL (not quick oats)
- 3 cups SHREDDED COCONUT
- ½ cup HONEY
- ½ cup BROWN SUGAR
- 1 cup BUTTER
- 4 teaspoons GROUND CINNAMON
- 2 Tablespoons VANILLA EXTRACT
- Pinch of SALT
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 rimmed baking sheets by spraying them lightly with cooking spray or lining with parchment or a Silpat baking mat.
- In a large bowl, stir together oats and coconut.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Add remaining ingredients to the butter and stir well. Pour over oats and coconut and mix to coat everything.
- Divide mixture between the baking sheets.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring at 10 and 20 minutes. It will be golden when you remove it from the oven and will get crispier as it cools.
- Store in an airtight container.