This dreamy morning breakfast is brought to you by International Delight.
I adore breakfast and I love french toast in any form. Often on the weekend, I’ll make an overnight french toast bake in a 9×13 pan, which is always delicious, but it takes 45 minutes or more to bake. French toast bake is also great for overnight guests or for making while on vacation if you have access to a kitchen. It feeds a crowd and uses day old french bread. Sometimes I just buy bread from the day old rack at the store, cut it into cubes and freeze it until I’m ready to make french toast again.
That french toast bake was the inspiration for this recipe because you can never go wrong with the mini version of a huge breakfast. These handheld French Toast Muffins with Cream Cheese Streusel (yes, cream cheese streusel…more on that in a minute) make a quicker weekend breakfast or make them ahead for a heat and go breakfast during the week. At first I was thinking cinnamon roll french toast cups, which is why I used the Cinnabon flavor of International Delight Creamer, so I was going to top them with cream cheese something. It occurred to me to incorporate the cream cheese into the streusel and it worked! The cream cheese replaces the butter in the streusel and results in a defined, tender crumb topping that is simply heavenly.
What I love about any of the recipes I’ve created in collaboration with International Delight is that you can switch up the creamer flavors to make something different every time. So whatever flavor ID creamer you’re stocking in your fridge is perfect for these muffins. If you have any leftovers, store in the fridge and reheat for about 15 seconds in the microwave. Muffins always go fast at our house and so does french toast, these really didn’t stand a chance! Next time I’m going to need to make a double batch 😉
- 5 cups DAY OLD FRENCH BREAD, cubed (about 8 oz.)
- 4 EGGS
- ¾ cup INTERNATIONAL DELIGHT CREAMER, flavor of your choice
- ½ cup HALF & HALF
- ¼ cup BROWN SUGAR
- ½ cup BROWN SUGAR
- ½ cup FLOUR
- Pinch of SALT
- 4 oz. CREAM CHEESE, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease well or use muffin liners for a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Place cubed bread in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, creamer, half & half and ¼ cup brown sugar until well combined. Pour over bread, toss together to make sure all of the bread is coated. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the streusel topping by stirring together ½ cup brown sugar, flour and salt. Add cream cheese and use a fork or your fingers to combine until shaggy, crumbly pieces form.
- Divide bread and egg mixture among muffin cups. Top with streusel mixture. Bake for 17-18 minutes. Serve warm.
More ways to enjoy ID creamers at breakfast…
Ultimate Breakfast Casserole from A Zesty Bite
Black & Red Raspberry Vanilla Scones from Roxana’s Home Baking
Salted Caramel Mocha Muffins from I Should Be Mopping the Floor
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of International Delight. The opinions and text are all mine.