Yet another use for those spotted brown bananas starring at you from on the counter, Banana Crumb Muffins are a great grab-and-go breakfast or a tasty snack!
I absolutely love that bananas have more than one ‘life’. They’re awesome fresh (slightly green for me please!), lovely in smoothies, perfect for pies and puddings and when they get too brown for anything else you can bake them into bread or muffins and truly get your $$ worth out of a fruit that’s usually inexpensive in the first place.
And since you can’t have too many ways to use brown bananas, here’s another one for your rotation. These muffins are gently spiced and sweetly topped with a brown sugar crumb topping. I love mine with a little bit of butter and definitely slightly warm 😉
- 1½ cups FLOUR
- 1 teaspoon BAKING SODA
- 1 teaspoon BAKING POWDER
- ½ teaspoon SALT
- 1 teaspoon CINNAMON
- ½ teaspoon CARDAMOM
- 3 RIPE BANANAS, mashed
- ¾ cup SUGAR
- 1 EGG
- ⅓ cup BUTTER, melted
- 2 Tablespoons FLOUR
- ⅓ cup BROWN SUGAR
- ½ teaspoon CINNAMON
- 1 Tablespoon COLD BUTTER
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices in large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, stir together banana, sugar, egg and butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Divide among muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 Tablespoons of flour, brown sugar and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon. Cut in 1 Tablespoon of cold butter and rub mixture together between your fingers to form large crumbs. Sprinkle this crumb mixture evenly over muffin batter, pressing crumbs in slightly.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.
More ways to use ripe bananas…
Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls from A Kitchen Addiction
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread from Mom on Timeout