You know how kids are always hungry…even though they just ate approximately 63 minutes ago. All of a sudden hunger pangs are overtaking them and they can’t do another thing until they’ve eaten again. This is the story of my life. And after suggesting bananas, cheese sticks and various crackers, we need something new and exciting every now and then. Well, here is this week’s snack attack answer…Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars. A fine way to get your chocolate peanut butter fix and use up the cereal that no one actually eats for breakfast.
I think these would be fantastic with almost any kind of cereal you have in your pantry. I wanted them to chill quicker than the fridge, so I stuck them in the freezer for about 20 minutes so I could feed them to a few ravenous children. They store beautifully in the fridge and are the perfect combo of crispy and fudge-y peanut butter goodness.
- ½ cup LIGHT CORN SYRUP
- ¼ cup BROWN SUGAR
- ¼ teaspoon SALT
- 1 cup PEANUT BUTTER
- 1 teaspoon VANILLA EXTRACT
- 2 cups CRISPY RICE CEREAL
- 1 cup CORN FLAKES
- 1 cup SEMI SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- Line a 8x8 pan with foil, spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, combine corn syrup, brown sugar and salt. Bring to a full boil and remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter and mix well. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix in vanilla and cereals. When it's almost combined, add in chocolate chips and finish stirring. Pour mixture into prepared pan and press down with the back of a greased spatula. Chill until firm, cut into squares.
Recipe Source: The Fanny Farmer Baking Book
Replenish your snack supply with…
This post may also be shared over at Show Me Your Plaid Mondays, Mealtime Monday, Sugar and Slice Sunday, Sweet Sharing Monday, Mop It Up Monday, Melt In Your Mouth Mondays, Recipe Sharing Monday, Marvelous Mondays, Monday Funday, Manic Monday, Two Cup Tuesday, Time to Sparkle, Tuesday Talent Show, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, What’s In Your Kitchen Wednesday, Lil’ Luna Link Party, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Show & Share Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, Wicked Good Wednesdays, Whimsy Wednesday, Pin It Thursdays, Your Creative Timeout, Thursdays Treasures, Artsy Corner, All Things Thursday, Weekly Creative, All Things Pretty, Chic & Crafty Party, The Creative Connection, What’s Shakin’, Weekend Potluck, I’m Lovin’ It, Shine on Fridays, Create & Inspire, Saturday Show & Tell, Strut Your Stuff Saturdays