I decided to throw together rice krispie treats one recent afternoon and just rummaged through the pantry to find things that went together. Of course, there were rice krispies and marshmallows, I also had cocoa kripies and Rolo Minis. And as I was stirring the melted marshmallows, I decided at the last minute to add in some caramel sauce. Those bars turned out good, but needed a little tweaking. My oldest daughter loved them and couldn’t wait until we made them again.
I, of course, absolutely love desserts that can be made in a 9×13 pan, for me it’s all about working smarter, not harder 😉 So I still wanted a recipe that made enough to serve a crowd, but the classic ratio of 5 1/2 cups of marshmallows to 6 cups of cereal wasn’t enough. It needed more. Make sure you use the biggest bowl that you own for mixing these and another one for heating the marshmallows unless you want to use the stove top.
These Double Chocolate Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats may just be the most addictive pan of RKTs I’ve ever made. In an effort to not eat the whole pan, I took some to church and shared a few afterwards while chatting with people. Two people asked me for the recipe immediately and one taste tester proclaimed it to be the BEST rice krispie treat she’d ever had. I guess the only way for you to know if they were right is to make them for yourself. But I wouldn’t recommend staying home alone with the whole batch…you’ve been warned.
- 5 Tablespoons SALTED BUTTER (use real butter)
- 9 cups MINI MARSHMALLOWS
- 4½ cups RICE KRISPIE CEREAL
- 4½ cups COCOA KRISPIE CEREAL
- 1 8 oz. bag ROLO MINIS, cut in half
- ¼ cup JARRED CARAMEL SAUCE
- ¼ teaspoon SALT
- Your kitchen SALT SHAKER for sprinkling
- Line a 9x13 pan with foil. Grease well using butter for best results.
- In a large microwave safe bowl (or a saucepan for the stove), melt butter. Add marshmallows to bowl, heat at 45 second intervals, stirring in between until melted and smooth.
- Meanwhile, mix together cereals in a large bowl.
- Add caramel sauce and ¼ teaspoon of salt to melted marshmallows. The caramel sauce will sink straight to the bottom so stir well to combine. Pour over cereal and mix well. Add in halved Rolo candies and stir again.
- Transfer this mixture to prepared pan. Take a turner spatula and butter the back of the flat side well. Use it to press the bars firmly into the pan. Take a salt shaker and lightly salt the top of the bars. Set aside to cool and set up before cutting into bars.
More RKT to love…
I need more RKTs to add to my pinterest board,
leave a link to your favorite in the comments so I can pin it!
This post may be shared at one of these fabulous parties Show Me Your Plaid Mondays, Mealtime Monday, Sugar and Slice Sunday, Sweet Sharing Monday, Mop It Up Monday, Melt In Your Mouth Mondays, Recipe Sharing Monday, Two Cup Tuesday, Time to Sparkle, Tuesday Talent Show, Totally Tasty Tuesday, What’s In Your Kitchen Wednesday, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Show & Share Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, Wicked Good Wednesdays, Whimsy Wednesday, Taste and Tell Thursdays, Your Creative Timeout, Thursdays Treasures, Artsy Corner, All Things Thursday, Chic & Crafty Party, What’s Shakin’, Weekend Potluck, I’m Lovin’ It