I know that when someone
(especially my husband or mother in law) doubts that I can do something, like actually go roller skating or have all four of my kids to a restaurant for breakfast on Saturday morning by 8:30 am. I am up for proving that I can do it.
Well, I have recently been challenged in a bit of a different way…Kraft Foods invited me to take one of their new Fresh Take flavors and turn it into a smashing meal. In fact, I will be creating two meals using their challenge cards as a guide and share with our readers through a series of posts. Stayed tuned because there’s a reader challenge coming up too!
Using the Spicy Chipotle Cheddar Variety of Fresh Take
1) See how Fresh Take works with a little BBQ side sauce flair
2) Incorporate your Fresh Take choice into a sandwich
3) Serve your favorite vegetable as a side dish.
The Spicy Chicken & Bacon Sandwich was born and I can never get enough slaw, so along came Buttermilk Cilantro Slaw too. I really love spicy food so getting this variety of Fresh Take was right up my alley. Chicken sandwiches are pretty well loved and this is my spin. Topped with bacon (of course) and served on a toasted bun with a smear of Q sauce. Yes, have you ever heard of fry sauce? It’s ketchup and mayo mixed together, but since I was using BBQ sauce I renamed it Q sauce.
This is a meal that comes together with minimal effort. The Kraft Fresh Take package gives you a head start on easy. Everything you need is in one package. You even toss your protein right into the bag to coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Then you can dispose of it – one less dish for this busy momma is a plus. I pounded the chicken thin which makes it the perfect thickness for a sandwich and it cooks faster that way too.
Below you get the play by play, except where I forgot to take a picture of the baking sheet. But I’m figuring you can imagine that one. I cooked the breaded chicken on a wire rack to keep it crispy on both sides, which is what you really want when you make a great sandwich.
And for those of you who may not be a fan of spicy…I really liked the spicy chipotle cheddar flavor this gave the chicken. There was enough kick to be exciting, but it definitely wasn’t too spicy. In fact, my kids loved it and were actually begging for more! Serve sandwiches with buttermilk coleslaw, fresh fruit and iced tea for a full meal.
2. Place 1 piece of chicken breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap.
3. Take a mallet or frying pan and pound to an even thickness. Such a stress reliever! Repeat with remaining pieces.
4. Cut flattened pieces into sandwich sized pieces. (Mine weren’t all the same size.)
6. Pull apart at the center and you get one big bag.
7. Mix well to combine both sides.
8. Moisten each piece of chicken with water and drop into breadcrumb mixture. Shake well to coat, remove and place on baking sheet or wire rack, if using. Repeat with remaining pieces of chicken. Place a little of the extra breadcrumb mixture on each piece of chicken. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
10. Toast lightly – toasted buns make the best sandwiches!
11. On bottom half of bun layer lettuce, tomato, bacon, spicy chipotle cheddar chicken breast. Spread top half of buns with Q sauce and place on top of sandwich.
Fine Print: I have partnered with Kraft Foods to create recipes using Fresh Take and have been compensated for my time. As always, I have told you what I really think of it!
This outstanding meal may be linked to these fabulous parties: Show Me Your Plaid Mondays, Mealtime Monday, Sugar and Slice Sunday, Sweet Sharing Monday, Mop It Up Monday, Two Cup Tuesday, Trick or Treat Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show, Totally Tasty Tuesday, What’s In Your Kitchen Wednesday, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Show & Share Wednesday, Taste and Tell Thursdays, What’s Shakin’, Weekend Potluck, I’m Lovin’ It