Comfort food at its best! This Chicken Veggie Stew really hit the spot on a chilly fall evening and let me tell you the cornbread was soooo good! I recently got a new cookbook called “The Naptime Chef”
and, while I have only made a few recipes from it so far, the concept is so smart. It is all about what you can prepare during nap time so that the dinner hour is easier. I have been using this concept all the time now seeing as with 3 kids ages 3 and under the dinner hour can be a little hectic. I hope to share some other recipes from this cookbook soon!
- 4 raw chicken breasts, thawed if frozen
- 1 lb. frozen corn, thawed
- 1 lb. frozen peas, thawed
- 2 chopped bell peppers, any color
- 1- 15 oz. can pinto beans
- 1- 15 oz. can black beans
- 3 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons onion powder
- 3 Tablespoons dried basil
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot, layering them in the order listed.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low or until chicken falls apart easily when stirred.
Eat this stew with the Perfect Every Time Cornbread from The Naptime Chef Cookbook
by Kelsey Banfield.
- Unsalted Butter, as needed
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 9x9 inch baking pan, paying special attention to the corners
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk everything together. Crack egg into the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Pour in the milk and stir until batter is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake fro 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden and the top springs back when touched.
Chicken Veggie Stew adapted from The Gracious Pantry.
Bill Casey says
Added chopped celery.
Love to see more stews and soups!
So glad you enjoyed it! We’re working on more soup recipes, they’ll be coming soon!