Two of my favorite things… soup and pasta! One of my favorite pastas… lasagna! So when I read about the combination of the two, I knew it would eventually make its way to my dining room table. I saw this recipe last spring on A Farmgirl’s Dabbles. It was a new exciting dish for me and did NOT disappoint! Once you get to the surprise of the “cheesy yum” (as she calls it), you know this is not a regular average soup. It holds all of the flavors you love in lasagna but warms your soul in a way that only soup can do! I served it with garlic cheese bread and crackers. It was definitely a hit!
- 2 teaspoon OLIVE OIL
- 1 1/2 lbs. ITALIAN SAUSAGE
- 1 large ONION, chopped
- 4 GARLIC CLOVES, minced
- 2 teaspoon dried OREGANO
- 1/2 teaspoon CRUSHED RED PEPPER FLAKES
- 2 Tablespoon TOMATO PASTE
- 1 28-oz. can FIRE ROASTED DICED TOMATOES
- 2 BAY LEAVES
- 6 cups CHICKEN STOCK
- 8 oz. PASTA, we used Radiatori
- 1/2 cup finely chopped BASIL LEAVES
- SALT and PEPPER, to taste
- 8 oz. RICOTTA
- 1/2 cup grated PARMESAN CHEESE
- 1/4 teaspoon SALT
- pinch of freshly ground PEPPER
- 2 cup shredded MOZZARELLA CHEESE
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, breaking up into bite sized pieces, and brown for about 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.
- Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente. Do not over cook or let soup simmer for a long period of time at this point, as the pasta will get mushy and absorb all the soup broth. Right before serving, stir in the basil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheesy yum. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- To serve, place a dollop of the cheesy yum in each soup bowl, sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese. ENJOY!
Printed from Crumbs and Chaos (www.crumbsandchaos.net)
“Come join SoupaPalooza at TidyMom and Dine and Dish sponsored byKitchenAid, Red Star Yeast and Le Creuset”
This recipe may to linked to these fabulous parties: SUNDAY Sharing Sundays – Everyday Sisters,Sweet Indulgences Sunday – A Well Seasoned Life, Church Supper – Everyday Mom’s Meals, Weekend Warrior Party – Ask Anna Moseley MONDAY Melt In Your Mouth Monday – Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms, Made By You Monday – Skip To My Lou, Mingle Monday – Add A Pinch, Makin’ You Crave Monday – Mrs. Happy Homemaker, Must Try Mondays – My Favorite Finds,Snap, Craft & Blog til Your Heart’s Content – A Content Housewife , More the Merrier Monday – DIY Home Sweet Home, Mix It Up Monday – Flour Me With Love , Monday Link Party – Polish the Stars TUESDAY Tasty Tuesday – Nap Time Creations, Totally Tasty Tuesday – Mandy’s Recipe Box, Tuesday Time Out – Reasons to Skip the Housework, Tuesday Talent Show – Chef in Training, Crazy Sweet Tueasday – Crazy For Crust, Tasty Tuesday – 33 Shades of Green, Totally Inspired Tuesdays – The Inspired Collection, Trick or Treat Tuesdays – Inside BruCrew Life WEDNESDAY These Chicks Cooked – This Chick Cooks, Recipe Linky – Newlyweds Blog, What I Whipped Up Wednesday – Sugar and Dots, Mrs. Fox’s Sweet Party – Mrs. Fox’s Sweets, Link It Up Wednesday – Junk In Their Trunk, Rock n’ Share Party – The Shady Porch, Share & Wow Wednesday – A Turtle’s Life For Me, Cast Party Wednesday – Lady Behind the Curtain, Famous Linkz – Made Famous By THURSDAY Sweet Treats Thursday – Something Swanky, It’s a Keeper – Everyday Tastes, Things I’ve Done Thursday – Bear Rabbit Bear, Tastetastic Thursday – A Little Nosh, One Stop Thursday Party – Digital Scrapbooking Made Easy Full Plate Thursday – Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, Chic & Crafty Thursdays – The Frugal Girls, Crazy Cute Thursdays – Between U & Me FRIDAY Sweet Tooth Friday – Alli-n-Son, I’m Lovin’ It – Tidy Mom, Fusion Friday – Jane Deere Blog, Friday Favorites – Simply Sweet Home, Friday Flair – Whipperberry, Feature Friday – Blissful and Domestic, 4th Friday Finale – Over The Big Moon, Delicately Constucted Fridays – Delicate Construction, Shine On Friday – One Artsy Mama,Feature Friday Free-For-All – Five Days…5 Ways, Weekend Potluck – Baking Bad SATURDAY Seasonal Inspiration – Crumbs and Chaos, Strut Your Stuff Saturday – Six Sister’s Stuff, Show and Tell Saturdays – Be Different Act Normal, Sweets For a Saturday – Sweet As Sugar Cookies, Tip Junkie, Everybody’s Creative Endeavor – Every Creative Endeavor, Tip Junkie, Once Upon A Weekend – Family Ever After
Really wish you would add the nutritional value to your recipes!
Jennifer @ Delightfully Noted says
Yum! Sounds comforting.
Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy says
This sounds so amazing!
This looks so good! Can’t wait to try it!
Amy @ ThisCrazy,BeautifulLife says
This looks delicious! I have been wanting to try lasagna soup and I may have just found the recipe to use! 😀 thanks!
I have always wanted to make Lasagna Soup, thanks for bringing this great dish to Weekend Potluck! ~Tonya from 4 little Fergusons
That looks really good…Thanks I’m adding this to my ziplist!
Miz Helen says
Your Lasagna Soup looks amazing, we would really enjoy it! Hope you are having a wonderful week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
yum!! i like it already.
I love lasagna, so I just know that I will love this soup. Pinning it for a cold winter day:-)
Carrie @ My Favorite Finds says
yum! Thank you for linking to Must Try Monday. This would be awesome with some crusty bread 🙂
Sarah E. says
That looks amazing! Stopping by from Must Try Monday
Patrick and Sara Wade says
This was SO yummy! Everyone in my family gave it a major thumbs up 🙂 I used spicy Italian turkey sausage, but otherwise followed recipe exactly. Thank you!
Susan Lynn, Insomniac in the House says
I found you through Soupapalozza and love your soup! I pinned it and cant wait to give it a try! Love the description of the cheesy yum! lol